Pages

This blog has moved.....

This blog has MOVED to a new location! Please visit my new site by clicking here.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

You were born with wings

new speckled eggs available in the etsy shop


Going through my stuff in my constant desire to purge and simplfy, I found some projects from my metals classes in college. I took several metals classes, as electives, after discovering that a drawing minor would eat up any opportunity to do something other than draw.

It is actually fairly fortuitous that I came to these classes late in my college career because at that point, I was already developing themes in my work and it was interesting to see the themes carry over into different media naturally without thought or planning.

a sandwiched pendant with riveting, acetate, and stamped words from metals class

Birds were something I latched onto right away. There were very strong themes of home, creating a home, and what it meant to be a modern female operating in today's society at that time, in my work. I have always struggled with these roles and the passing years have eased my angst on the subject. I realize now that it is less of something to be defined and more of embracing my own individuality and creating my own paradigm.

a domed birdcage pendant I made, this may have been metals II

interior with feathers and etching

After years of struggling through the post college amphora of identity and career, it is wildly satisfying to see how my work has come full circle and still embraces many of the themes that I followed so many years ago (can it be almost 8 years????)

now I've come full circle, now I've come HOME



How it has now changed and taken shape and how I have found the wings I've been seeking all these years.


You were born with potential

You were born with goodness and trust

You were born with ideals and dreams

You were born with greatness

You were born with wings

You are not meant for crawling, so don't

You have wings

Learn to use them and fly!

~Rumi

5 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

There is a quiet beauty to everything you create, Barbara. These metal pieces have a power all their own, but in a nurturing strength sort of way. I really gravitate toward pieces with feathers and metal, these are juxtaposed so nicely. Thank you for sharing them! Enjoy the day!
Erin

elisabeth said...

Wow! What incredible pieces! I LOVE the birdcage. And I am so glad you sill have an avian theme to your work :-) My fly pendant is about to find a home in a project I am planning!

Niky Sayers said...

Lovely post and I completly love that bird cage!

Unknown said...

Oh Barbara you are truly an artist with heart. Those pieces actually gave me goosebumps. Not kidding goosebumps! Your creations really reflect your heart thank you so much for sharing.

Rebecca said...

These are beautiful Barbara - I can't believe you made them when you were so young, they had such a quiet maturity to them. Beautiful colours and textures as well.