Pages

This blog has moved.....

This blog has MOVED to a new location! Please visit my new site by clicking here.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Earring Card Tutorial

Hi Friends!

I'm bringing you a fun tutorial! Be nice to me because I haven't done too many and my workspace doesn't have the best lighting for pretty, pretty pictures, although it IS functional.

Making earring cards doesn't have to mean being a professional graphic designer or having them professionally printed, although that would happen in a perfect world with limitless resources. Sometimes, you need something on the fly and this is a good quick fix. I think they have a nice presence, don't scream ugly, and reflect the quality of handmade work.

One of my pet peeves, having a background in graphic design (archaic as it is) is seeing pretty handmade goods on crap-tastic Avery perforated business cards with badly done graphics that are all pixelated. Yuck....

And, in saying that, I bring you this tutorial from a place of love.

Before we begin, let's talk about some basics of package design:

1) KEEP IT SIMPLE. If you don't have the knowledge or resources to have something professionally printed, don't try to make your packaging look like you do.

2) Stick to one or two colors and one or two fonts. More is not always better.

3) Keep it clean. Don't clutter up your packaging with too much information.

Let's get started:
(Remember you can click on the photos to see them better.)


Make sure to use a nice heavy cardstock, not plain from the office store. Make sure it is at least 90#. Scrapbook cardstock is a good fit or if you plan on making a lot, you can order a ream of heavy cardstock from a professional printer


I chose grey for the background and black for my letters, sticking to my KISS rule.







Hope you enjoyed my tutorial! I would love your thoughts! (ummm, good and bad, :)

7 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

Those are so cute! I totally forgot I have one of those corner rounder punches. will have to dig it out!
I love the color of the stamp pad and how the type is dark against it. Very pleasing to my eye. well done!

Silver Parrot said...

They look great and you did a nice job on the tutorial! I'll bookmark this in case I ever do a show and need earring cards!

TesoriTrovati said...

That is beautiful. Very hand made and heart felt. I did a tutorial on my earring cards a few years ago on the blog from Rena Klingenberger. I created a template in Vistaprint that was one quarter of a standard size postcard. Printed contact info on the back. I put little tiny asterisks where the holes need to be punched (I have a tiny hole punch from the scrapbook store). I order 100 postcards for peanuts and cut them into 1/4. Very economical. I might never run out!
Thanks for sharing. I loved your captions.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Rebecca said...

Totally love everything about these! I especially like the stamp you have used - looks so pretty! Simple but they would really stand out.

Niky Sayers said...

Utterly fantastic! Love that they are handmade by look very classy and very profesional and fab advice!

Nicki said...

This is really nice, thank you for sharing it....

Carol B said...

I love your cards. I'm so glad there aren't photos of mine on the web. At least they aren't on Avery perforated business cards. :) Actually, I use the heaviest (110 lb.) paper at the local Xpedx (?) store and cut them on a paper cutter. I stamp my name on the back because my cards are small. I make them 1 3/4" by 2" to fit well on my earring racks.